Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Trick or treating was really sweet. Beautiful night, too. Very calm weather and clear skies. It went from 6 to 8pm, and we did both the walk around and a bit of the drive around, too. The kids got lots of candy. Henry and Emily stopped by their old kindergarten teachers house, who gave them "tons".

Maggie did pretty good... she was real excited to trick or treat and was very happy and totally psyched to be finally doing it (Henry too, for that matter!) She would get spooked by kids dressed up as dark characters or ghoulish monsters. But she would also work through that fear and work her way up to the front step or whatever to ask for her candy. Eventually she was needing to be carried and telling us she was "so, so sleepy" So we dropped her and Jeff off at the house and then Bob and I took Henry and Emily for a ride around the neighborhood, waiting in the car for them while they did their thing. It was nice and relaxing, all in all.

Last year, I remember trick or treating as being very hectic. We went to Amherst village, which was a total madhouse. I guess the folks in that town get like 800 kids over the course of the two hour window. 800! Lucky for those folks, I hear there is a candy donation program that helps support that population. The houses around the square that Henry's school sits at get about 300 on Halloween night. We got two young teenage boys as we were pulling in for the night. That's all.

I will tell you that I bought a giant bag of halloween candy and donated it to a family at Henry's school that lives on the square! I also ended up buying a bag of chocolate kisses in case we got any trick or treaters. Henry scoffed when I told him I had been planning on giving out granola bars. He informed me that nobody gives out granola bars on Halloween, nobody good anyway. So I had to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ths is fun, Susie....Glad you all had a fun hallowe'en....we didn't have anyone knock on our door, which was fine by us. Guess we are hallowe'en scrooges??? so...on to Thanksgiving....you having a crowd? Love and kisses to all of you!

Anonymous said...

Love it!! Feels like your right here with me! Love ya! Joce