Tuesday, June 10, 2008

More Words

I have, as a personal goal, determined to post more words to this blog. I am also beginning to investigate other ideas I have such as an area to view collections of photos, an area to view collections of movies and other top secret projects I haven’t thought up yet. I also want to get Henry and Maggie to make video blog postings. Keep your fingers crossed!

So last Sunday was the one year anniversary of my dad dying. It went okay. Living so far from my dear family stinks rotten eggs sometimes, and so I have to cobble together whatever sense of family I can out here. Luckily I have great friends who are like family to me, and I also have my own actual family, the one where I’m the Mom and it all revolves around me, so you need not shed too many tears over my plight. It was just a bummer that important days like these must pass with such private, internal personal fanfare.

You want to know another thing that sucks rotten eggs? Fuel prices. I’m not going to get into it, ‘cause you feel it too. I feel like I’ve been forced back into the dark ages. I need to get the video chatting up and running again because maybe that would help. I miss laughing and seeing expressions on faces.

*sniff*!

Right now the guy is fixing my computer and I am appearing studious and hard working over at my co workers desk, who is gone all week. The gal whose son was in Iraq is now off celebrating his return to US soil. Hooray for coworker who shall remain anonymous!

I’m thinking about this heat wave we have. It is miserable. I don’t know which of you I spoke with back in Seattle who said they’d trade my weather for theirs, but you have a deal. Please reply to this post and we will coordinate the transfer. Thank you.

I’m thinking about our dear friends in Wisconsin and wondering how they and their loved ones are doing with their bad weather. And where is the government in all this? Where are the folks who joined National Guard in hopes of stepping in and helping out at times like these in their hometown? Where are the folks and the supplies and the rescue maneuvers who could be plucking Ma and Pa Midwest out of the swollen rivers and pitching in with the aid and the emergency management? I’m not mad at them, and I know there are people pitching in and helping. I’m mad at this idiot war that stretches our resources and this idiot president and these kabooberous times we live in.

Last night Henry asked me about has it ever been where the presidential election was split right down the middle. I told him about 2000 and sort of haphazardly misinformed him where possible. Anyway, it got us talking about Al Gore and how if he’d actually become president, his ability to focus on climate change and finally get us woken up about it, would that have been possible? Or would he, as president, been able to throw the power of his administration behind it and actually gotten further on that topic? I think 9/11 would still have happened, so I feel like it would’ve probably been tabled.

Anyway. See where this rambling gets me? Now I’m all worked up, spitting out half baked ideas about politics and the world at large. I reserve the right to spout half baked cockamamey ideas about politics in honor of my dear father, who had plenty of ideas for when he became dictator…

One of my favorite memories is when he and mom were visiting once, and he said, in response to securing our borders, “What they oughta do… What they oughta do is take every. single. American soldier and link them arm in arm from California all the way across Texas.”

My girlfriend Kathy said in response, “Surely there would be better uses of our resources…” or something similar. Made me laugh. I don’t know why that moment has always stuck with me, but it has. What really matters is that we care enough to have an opinion. It can be whatever it is, but at least try to have one.

Alright, so I’ll post this. You want words, you got words. I wish for a break in this cool weather, I wish for peace and hope for all mankind, and I wish for a tasty lunch in air conditioned comfort. OH! And I wish for a scooter.

That is all. Peace, out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Words are good for really needing to get it all out. But pictures tell a story . Both are great.
I like your fathers idea.
I agree we keep our resources at home. This war is about oil. Lead us not into temptation.... We pay with peoples sons, daughters, mothers , fathers, aunts , uncles... and so on , over seas. We pay here, from our pockets, dearly. This summer, thinking about what to do with my son, that would not cost an arm and a leg to do. I stay home instead of venturing out to take pictures.
With no hope of it getting better and the oil companies living the high life.
I could get into just as you had and get very riled up. We could have a very interesting talk about this sometime.
I feel for you , my family is not near me. We splintered. Me planting my butt here. Sick of moving every three years. But the rest of my family have that " chip" implanted to move move move. I guess it is me, as a mom , to want more for my son. To make sure he has what I did not. Friends since he started school. To know his grandparents.
I am thankful for our sons being friends, I got to meet a wonderful, lighthearted , do life as you want, family. It is nice
Big hugs , thanks for sharing