Friday, December 01, 2006

Books: Down Came the Rain

I'm reading "Down Came the Rain - My Journey Through Postpartum Depression" by Brooke Shields. Picked it up at the library. Whoo, can this girl tell it like it IS. This book will help many many women. I'm so lucky I didn't suffer too much from ppd with either of my kids. I cried here and there, and definitely felt overwhelmed after the birth of number one, but when the girl came along, I felt terrific and bounded out of bed every morning with hope and purpose for months afterward. And I got to have the birth experience I wanted (exit via the usual route, no surprises, wonderful nurses, my mom was there, etc) both times. So. Very grateful, to say the least.

I am also really hearing what Brooke Shields has to say about her experience. If I haven't felt everything she felt, I know some woman who did, you know? She's also very revealing, and lays it all out there for dear reader:

I kept leaning over and smelling her to see if I could recognize her scent or anything familiar about her. In a strange way, she seemed to know me muuch better than I did her. She was able to look directly at me, as if she had everything all figured out. I felt self-conscious when alone with her. She seemed pure and honest and raw, and it unsettled me. I tried to talk to her when we were alone.
"Baby girl, please be patient with me. I think I'm having a hard time here, and I don't want you to be sad because of it. please love me. I promise I'll try to ge tbetter."


I'm also halfway through "We Were the Mulvaneys" by Joyce Carol Oates. And I got the book written by that woman who has autism and works on desinging more humane ways to manage cattle bound for slaughter or something? I like to be in the middle of something large, and also have a couple of smaller books to power through on the side.

Anyway, time to go. I work hard on the house all day and yet come Friday, it's all gone to hell again. My bedroom is a mess, my sheets have sand in them somehow, laundry laundry laundry, and I need to be ready to lay all the christmas decorations over the top of everything. oh yes, and hang out and take care of margie. and go to the vet and go to the drugstore to pick of my dog's xanax (yes that's right). So you see. To do to do to do.

A big shout out to our much loved Auntie Ro as she recovers from surgery with her big sis by her side. Go go Auntie Ro! And hooray for my dad who gets to take the next four weeks off from chemo!

GOOD HEALTH TO YOU AND YOURS, HUH? have a good day

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Susie, loved your input and pictures. I'm enjoying my time with Rozanne and she is recovering beautifully. I still can't believe she is up and walking and bending and peeing and pooping so easily after such a surgery. Wow!

I just started a book, "The Glass Castle, by Jeannette Walls (a memoir). It's a sobering novel of a very disfunctional family with brilliant parents (they did most of the teaching of their kids) who moved constantly, was poor and yet the kids all came out as bright, contributing members of society while their parents are homeless (their choice totally). Jeannette Walls, by the way, is a journalist and is a contributor to MSNBC often. Good reading, lots of insight into interesting philosophy in raising kids and, yet, sobering in what some children have to endure.
Keep the pictures coming! Grammi