Sunday, January 07, 2007

It's official.

We've killed our television. I feel sort of sick to my stomach! isn't that funny. This next week will be interesting. If you know us, you probably think/know that we watch a lot of television. Well now we've gone and done it. We cancelled our Directv, and will keep our tivo for now. Turns out we get the local abc, nbc, cbs and pbs from boston right out of thin air. it's a fuzzy picture, but definitely something to stare at when we need a fix. It's like dramatically reducing the nicotine content of our cigarettes. :-)

My only thing is I love to watch "The Office". Without a doubt, my favorite show. Thank goodness that's on nbc because I would be hurting for certain. I don't think I'll miss The Daily Show or even the Colbert report. I feel like the internet is such a great resource for seeing the funny stuff, and many of the bloggers will post "here's the clip in case you missed it" for other various visual input I may miss.

I'll also miss shows like "How it's Made" and "Modern Marvels", and the Science channel in particular. But thank goodness I have one of the best pbs stations in the country to watch! it's funny. One of my goals for 2007 is to reduce and simplify and this is certainly that! still retaining the essential but cutting away a lot of flab. It feels good so far!

So what did we do. Well, we moved the entertainment center from the guest room in the basement up to the playroom. I made another brutal edit of the toys in the playroom. Hauled a bunch more stuff up to the bonus space, which is really turning into a phenomenal storage area as I worth through the contents of our household and fine tune and edit. I only wish there was a more convenient way to access it. Anyway. Jeff and I split the work up real good and between the two of us, brought the tv out of the living room and into the playroom. so now, in the playroom, you can watch the four channels we get, the dvd player, and the vcr. I may or may not put the doors back on and turn it into a super cozy room again. We also hauled that big red entertainment center from the living room out to the porch. This week I will photograph it and try to give it away via craigslist. There is a big comfy chair that has been upstairs for the last several years, and we brought that downstairs to sit where the tv used to be. Now I see that the windows are filthy and so have to figure out some way to get them clean from the outside. I see climbing a ladder in my future! But my sister marcia says that nothing makes a house sparkle like cleaning your windows, and she's right. Especially with this low winter light and no leaves on the trees.

By the way, we are beginning to freak out over here regarding global warming. holy cow. it was 70 degrees this weekend! Now I enjoy balmy weather as much as the next guy, but that just ain't right! it just isn't right. I was talking about it with Henry yesterday, saying that I will be so curious to see what the world is like when he is as old as I am right now, in the year 2036. I sort of apologized for the fact that my generation and the ones before me created the problem and yadda yadda yadda. He was like, "yeah...I'm excited to see about that too, see what kinds of new inventions there are!" and then began to describe for me what sort of gun he would invent that would somehow solve the global warming problem. Something about shooting the Co2 out of your state and into another or something. So we got to talk about how it's everybody's problem and that when we say "global warming" we're talking about the entire globe, the earth. it was good stuff.

Maggie is turning into a disney princess-aholic. anything to do with the disney princesses, she is all over. They are both boy and girl, that is for sure! we were at lowes on friday and jeff showed her a disney princess lamp that has the different princess ladies twirling around on rotating platforms when you press the button or the alarm goes off or whatever. She wanted it so bad it turned in to this giant emotional extreme situation for her - at one point she suggested that maybe we had more money in the van that we could go get to pay for the lamp! real tears and everything!

I'll try to post pictures as soon as things shape up. I have to run to the grocery store now, or at least check in downstairs. bye now!

No comments: